Dear Inspired: Should I do an engagement session?



Dear Becca and Casey,


I just booked my wedding for next summer (July 2014), and now I am booking a photographer. I am trying to decide whether or not I need engagement photos taken. What are some of the pros and cons? My fiance is really not into the idea, but I think it might be nice. What do you think? Do most couples get engagement photos taken?


Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom!


Cheers,

Engaged and Confused


Dear Engaged and Confused,


I get this question from pretty much every single one of my couples! Engagement photos are totally optional (at least with my packages they are - but some photographers include them with every package). Some couples want photos to use for their save-the-dates or for their wedding website, and some couples just want to have some nice photos of themselves dressed in non-wedding attire. All of those are great reasons to have engagement photos taken!


Personally, I think the best reason to take engagement photos is to get comfortable with having your photo taken. For most people, their wedding is the first time that they are being professionally photographed. Some people don't realize that it can be a little uncomfortable! Even I, as a photographer, can forget how strange it feels to look into a camera and smile. Engagement photos are a great, low-pressure way to get used to the idea of being posed and having your photo taken. It's a great chance to get more comfortable with your photographer as well, and to get to know the way they work and shoot. It can make all the difference on the wedding day!


Another thing to consider is that engagement photos can be a good opportunity to capture a place that is special to you two that you might not be able to access on the wedding day. I've done engagement shoots on boats, in parks, in coffee shops, and lots of other places that might not be easily accessible to a bride in a big white dress. You can also use engagement photos to capture a season you love (maybe you're getting married in July but you love fall in New England)!


Best of luck, and congratulations!


Casey


IMG_9394.jpg